You've got...personality.

I mentioned last week that I after reading one or two blog posts within 2 days of each other about personality tests, that i was interested in taking a test of my own, just because.  (mostly because I could relate 100% to what Megan said, that I wanted to see what letters we had in common. Turns out we're 2 the same, 2 different.)

So I googled Myers Briggs personality tests.

Turns out that I am only slightly different than what my results showed in college. (Which makes sense, because I am a slightly different person now as a 29 year old than I was as an 18 year old.) In college I always tested as an ISFJ.  Right there smack dab in the middle of the description, it even mentions that ISFJs are best suited for helping people with disabilities, which is right in line with my special ed degree.  (It also says that my shyness is often mistaken for coldness and stiffnes.  Uh, yep.  I had/have that problem PLENTY.)

Okay...so ISFJ is mostly on target.

I was actually surprised, then, when the results of the one online came back different than ISFJ. They came back as INFJ.  Only one letter different, but, when I read the results, I about fell over laughing.  Seriously, people.  This is me to a T.  I never could articulate it and it often confused me, but it's ME!  Here's the part that really stood out! (bold is mine)

Counselors are scarce, little more than three percent of the population, and can be hard to get to know, since they tend not to share their innermost thoughts or their powerful emotional reactions except with their loved ones. They are highly private people, with an unusually rich, complicated inner life. Friends or colleagues who have known them for years may find sides emerging which come as a surprise. Not that Counselors are flighty or scattered; they value their integrity a great deal, but they have mysterious, intricately woven personalities which sometimes puzzle even them.


1.  Do you know HOW MANY people have read my blog over the last several years and have told me, "Wow, Jess. Your blog doesn't even sound like you!"  or "Jess!  I've known you forever and I didn't know THAT!" Yes, I know.  SURPRISE! Because these are never things I'd actually say in conversation.  They're my internal thoughts...and I don't spill my guts all the time in person!


2.  Do you know HOW MANY arguments Matt and I have had because the thoughts in my head, plus my actions, plus what I say I want and what I actually do are completely confusing.  Do you know how many times we've been in the middle of a discussion and I confuse myself by what I'm saying


3.  Do you know HOW MANY times I have looked in the mirror and thought...why the heck are you such a nut case?  Why can't you even understand yourself, let alone explain yourself clearly enough to someone to help them understand you better!  What is the deal, yo?!?


4.  Do you know HOW MANY times I have left my keys in the front door? (haha.  just kidding.  It's says I'm NOT scattered or flighty...uh....well....)


5.  Do you know HOW OFTEN I have to say to myself, "JUST STOP THINKING.  RELAX your brain.  Don't think about deep, complicated things at midnight!  REST!"  Do you know how often Matt has said, "JUST RELAX!" to me.  (and how often I've replied with, "YOU DON'T EVEN CARE!  YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ME.  IT'S MORE COMPLICATED THAN JUST RELAXING, Putz!  (that last part about bing a putz is only said in my head of course.)) Or how often he has to reassure me that a disagreement or issue or argument is not as complicated as I tend to make it.  


But really...it's so crazy on target that Matt and I laughed...like literally cracked up for at least 10 minutes because it made so much sense.  And do you know what a relief it is to know that I'm not the only one who sometimes puzzles even myself.  I need to find that other three percent so we can bond. 


What makes it such a relief to have it put into words?  I'm not sure!  Maybe because it validates that I'm not totally crazy, and that I don't have split personalities.   I dunno!! 


And in case you're wondering.  Matt is a Mastermind.  Which is an even smaller part of the population at about 1-2%.  I've always thought he is one-of-a-kind!


Go ahead!  Take the test!  You know you want to!  And tell me what you are!  (have you taken the test in the past? are you the same or have you changed?)

Comments

  1. I just took it and I'm and ESFJ (with 75% on the feeling- haha!) I'm pretty sure that's what I was in college too. However, on a lot of the questions I could have gone either way, depending on my mood or the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also an INFJ! doesn't surprise me that we are the same

    ReplyDelete
  3. " I need to find that other three percent so we can bond. " Snort. You're hilarious.

    I remember you sending me an email or a message or a comment after we first met in person apologizing that you aren't the same IRL as online. Or something like that. I think you're delightful both ways. I would really just love time to sit down together without all our yahoos interrupting. I think you're swell. And I really want to go take the quiz, but right now I have 10,000 other pressing matters I should be doing instead of writing the world's longest comment. Ciao.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts